I’ve always liked Caesar salad and ten years ago I started looking at what would make a great Caesar dressing. After nearly a year of experimenting I came up with this recipe. Since then I’ve posted it all over the net and even received an “Internet’s Best” rating several years ago. I don’t know how official it was and have long since lost the e-mail but I’m happy none the less and most sites have given it a 5 star rating. I still get e-mail from those who’ve used the recipe telling me how much they enjoyed it. Most of the sites it was posted to are now gone and while the few remaining are not likely to go away anytime soon I wanted to have it here.
This is the first recipe I made that is all mine, I hope you enjoy it.
John’s Killer Caesar Salad
Makes 2 Cups
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Not salad dressing)
- 1/4 cup egg substitute or 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons anchovy paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced very fine
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley, freeze-dried and crushed
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Whisk for 1 minute.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours (overnight is best).
Toss with romaine lettuce, fresh garlic croutons, bacon bits and top with grated parmesan and fresh cracked pepper.