Phad Thai, (ผัดไทย) is probably the most popular Thai noodle dish in the world. Like many Thai dishes it is sweet, sour, and salty all at the same time (a taste called “YUM”). Those of us that like our food spicy can put a little kick in this dish with ground chili. This is my take on the famous Thai dish, the real version of which I have enjoyed in Thailand on several occasions.
Phad Thai Recipe
- 1 (14 ounce) package vermicelli rice noodles, Dried
- 1/2 cup chicken breast, Without Skin cut in 1-inch strips
- 2 eggs, Beaten
- 8 large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 green onions, cut in 2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup dried shrimp
- 1/2 cup baked tofu, sliced
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, Unsalted & chopped
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons turnips, Salted packaged
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Soak noodles in a large covered bowl of water for 1 hour. Drain well before using.
- Stir together fish sauce, tamarind paste, lime juice, vinegar, paprika and sugar. Set aside.
- Place large frying pan or wok over med-high heat. Add oil and coat pan completely. When pan starts to smoke, add garlic and saute 5 seconds.
- Add turnip, dried shrimp and tofu and stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chicken and stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes until no longer pink.
- Remove to a bowl and let the oil settle in center of pan.
- Pour egg into center of pan and lightly scramble until half-cooked.(approx. 30 seconds).
- Add chicken mixture back to pan and mix together with egg.
- Add raw shrimp and cook until the chicken and shrimp are both nearly done. (approx.1 minute).
- Add noodles and sauce mixture, folding until all liquid is absorbed.
- Add green onion and sprouts, cover for 30 seconds to steam.
- Sprinkle with peanuts and serve.
|Serving Size 1 (126g)Recipe makes 4 servings|
|Calories from Fat 149||(62%)|
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Total Fat 16.6g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 2.8g||13%|
|Monounsaturated Fat 7.2g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 5.5g|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 14.8g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 2.2g||8%|