Tom yum (Thai: ต้มยำ, [tôm jɑm] is a soup originating from Thailand. It is perhaps one of the most famous dishes in Thai cuisine. It is widely served in neighboring countries such as Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia, and has been popularized around the world.
There are many different soups found in Thailand, made with all types of seafood, poultry and meats. The one thing they all have in common is that intriguing flavor that is simultaneously sour, salty and spicy. Thais call this flavor Yum. Yum is perhaps the most important flavor in Thai cooking. You may recognize the word “Yum” in Thai dishes like Yum Nuea (spicy beef salad) and of course tom yum soup. The ingredients that give us this magical combination are the basics of the Thai kitchen. Salt is rarely used; instead there is fish sauce (nam pla), a liquid made from salted fermented fish. It doesn’t sound very appetizing, but it is indispensable in Thai cooking.
Recipe for Tom Yum Soup
This is not quite the soup pictured above which was served to us at Thai Boat restaurant but is a version I have made. Stick with the stock and the basic ingredients and add fresh tomato, green onion, and fresh white mushrooms to make it more closely match. J
For Thai Chicken Stock
- 1 chicken carcass
- 9 cups water
- 1 cup galangal, thinly sliced
- 6 stalks lemongrass, lower thick portion only, Pounded
- 10 kaffir lime leaves
- Place chicken carcass in stockpot Add water, galangal and lemon grass.
- Roll lime leaves and crush lightly with hand, then add to pot.
- Bring to boil over medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour. Strain.
- Bring Thai Chicken Broth to simmer over medium-high heat in medium pot.
- Add shrimp, mushrooms and chilies, cook until shrimp turns pink (about 1 minute).
- Stir in fish sauce, lime juice and chile paste. Garnish with lime leaves and cilantro.
|Serving Size 1 (1001g)Recipe makes 6 servings|
|Calories from Fat 49||(21%)|
|Amount Per Serving||%DV|
|Total Fat 5.5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1.3g||6%|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2.0g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1.4g|
|Trans Fat 0.0g|
|Total Carbohydrate 25.2g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 4.6g||18%|