Yield: About 3 cups.
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into thick matchsticks
- 1 pound daikon radish, no more than 2 inches in diameter, peeled and cut into thick matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups rice vinegar or white vinegar.
- Place carrot and daikon in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Knead vegetables for about 3 minutes, expelling water from them (this will keep them crisp).
- Stop kneading when vegetables have lost about 1/4 of their volume. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold running water, then press gently to expel extra water.
- Return vegetables to bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, the vinegar and 1 cup lukewarm water, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour over vegetables.
- Let marinate at least 1 hour before eating, or refrigerate for up to 4 weeks. Remove vegetables from liquid before using in banh mi.