Corn fritters are one of those snacks that I cannot remember having tasted for the first time because I’ve loved eating them for so long. This recipe is one I came up with a long time ago and has gotten good reviews from those who’ve tried them. They are great served hot as a snack or with a meal but my brother always loved them cold and coated with sugar, either way they are a delicious and addictive treat. Just don’t blame me if you end up making these more than you feel it’s healthy to.
- 1 ¼ cups flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed and crushed slightly with a fork
- 1 large egg, beaten slightly
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne and sugar, mix well.
- In a separate mixing bowl, egg, melted butter, apple sauce and milk together.
- Stir the corn into the wet mixture.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir until well blended.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C).
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and fry until golden, turning over as required for even cooking.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.